Newcastle Smart City Strategy
- Project: Newcastle Smart City Strategy
- Location: Newcastle City Council
- Client: Newcastle City Council
- Date: 2016
- The Task:
Smart Planning and Design has developed a Smart City Strategy for the City of Newcastle based on a strong evidence base, leading practice and innovation, input from the international ‘Newcastle Smart Cities Reference Panel’, and collaborative engagement with Council, key stakeholders, and the Newcastle community. This Strategy was informed by the Newcastle City Council’s Community Strategic Plan Newcastle 2030, which has a vision for Newcastle to be a smart, liveable and sustainable city.
To deliver the Strategy we brought together the ‘digital’ and the ‘analogue’ to deliver the optimum outcome for Newcastle.
Firstly, we focused on the ‘digital’ economy and opportunities. We brought our understanding of the new digital landscape together with the desired ‘analogue’ Cultural and Community driven outcomes. We reviewed all influences across the quadruple bottom line, prioritising inclusion, activation, creatives and the community.
The project team and the international Smart City Reference Panel includes:
- Cred – Smart Consultation Strategies and Implementation
- Urban Tide – Smart Cities Roadmaps and Engagement, Digital Technology Planning and Smart Policy Advice
- Cogility – IT Architecture Specialists
- SMEC – Smart Infrastructure Planning and Development
- Integrated Transport Planning – Smart Transport Solutions, Transport Planning and Autonomous Vehicle Research
- Hitachi – ICT Hardware, Smart Technology and Equipment
Through this strategy we will transform Newcastle by achieving:
- Smart Economy: Entrepreneurship and innovation, productivity, local and global interconnectivity
- Smart People: 21st century education, inclusive society, embrace creativity
- Smart Governance: ICT and eGovernance, transparency and open date and enabling supply and demand side policy.
- Smart Mobility: Mixed modal access, prioritised clean and non- motorised options, integrated ICT
- Smart Environment: Green buildings, green energy, green urban planning
- Smart Living: Safe, culturally vibrant and happy, healthy people and places
This work has been guided by our Smart Cities Mandala and the Smart Delivery Model.